Please let us know if you are planning to attend Capstone presentations next week, so that we can plan for the right number of guests. Details are below.
Here are some highlights from this week
- The Genre-Fest of course makes the top of the list. Ask your middle schooler about the Hogarth Blues.
- In 7th Grade Spanish, we cooked a delicious Mexican feast what was your favorite food? Was it the paella, homemade tortilla chips, homemade salsa, stuffed jalapeños, limeade, or cinnamon sugar cookies? Which recipe would you like to have for your collection?
- In 8th Grade Spanish on Wednesday, we saw the Wim Wenders documentary "Buena Vista Social Club." Ask what did you most like about the film? Did you like the music? Would you like to visit Cuba?
- Nat's Math Class has been working on how to teach a computer to recognize the color blue. Ask about R.G.B. color division.
- With the 7th graders off at Mt. Desert Island, the eighth graders are finishing glazing puzzle boxes and are organizing their portfolios in Art. Ask your student why the deceptively simple looking puzzle box project is actually so difficult. (Clay shrinks when it dries and is fired, so special precautions need to be made to have the box pieces fit including firing pieces together in both firings.)
- 8th graders all got to do a dry run for the Capstone Presentations next week. Ask how ready your young person feels to present their work. (They all did a great job on their run through!)
- 7th Graders are due back from MDI at any moment. They did send this picture back from Monday. It sounds like it was misty, but happy!
Capstone presentations next week: presentations begin at 6:00, and typically last between 20 and 30 minutes. There will be a short break between the second and third presentation each evening, which will give us a chance to share some appetizers and desserts. Please let me know if you would like to bring something to share.
Families, friends, and mentors are encouraged to come for both evenings to see the impressive work from our 8th graders. Please RSVP with the number of attendees in your group so that we can plan these events.
Tuesday May 28
- Elsie The Evolution of the British Manor House
- Atticus How Tanks Have Changed Ground Warfare
- Lizzie Heart Anatomy and Congenital Defects
Wednesday May 29
- Sabrina Glass in Architecture
- Michael A Short History of Stop Motion Animation
- Joel A Brief History of Short Live Action Films and How I Made My First Film
- Thalia Dialectology and How the Media Portrays Accents
Spanish- English dictionaries! Please search your homes, cars, lockers, and backpacks for these dictionaries and return them to the Middle School. We would really like to have them back...
Have a wonderful long weekend.